Mollia was first used as a taxon name by Pliny for the Cephalopoda. Mollia was replaced by Mollusca in 1650 by Jonstonus, and it subsequently fell into disuse in nomenclature. It is here reinstated as the name of our WWW site for Malacology. No rank is intended or implied...

The Mollia icon, which is displayed as background here and on other pages, is from the 1930 art deco frieze that decorates the outside of the Valley Life Sciences Building (VLSB) at the University of California at Berkeley. VLSB is home to the University of California Museum of Paleontology, and within which www.ucmp.Berkeley.edu resides. In reality www.ucmp.Berkeley.Edu is a SUN Sparc 20 and the venerable workhorse of the listserver MOLLUSCA and MOLLIA.

Back to Mollia HomePage